An Egg-ceptional Superfood
This week will talk about the Egg. Although I don’t like the term of “superfood” in the case of egg I truly believe it fully applies. Eggs are an egg-ceptional (I always find it so accurate, but I have to admit it is not mine, it is a stolen pun) superfood with many many many health benefits.
In the past, the egg has been false “accused” as an unhealthy food, high in cholesterol which was believed to increase the risk of heart diseases. In fact, egg consumption decreases the “bad” cholesterol (LDL), increases the “good” cholesterol (HDL), which is linked to a reduced risk of heart diseases, strokes, and heart problems.
- Eggs are easily one of the most nutritious foods on planet earth. They contain high-quality proteins, vitamins, minerals, good fats, and various trace nutrients. And if you think about it, they are such a perfect food that they contain all the micro- and macronutrients that are needed to grow an organism, a baby chicken.
- Eggs contain all the essential amino acids* in the right ratio, which makes them a high-quality source of protein. And why eating high-quality protein food is important? Because consuming adequate protein can help you lose weight, increase muscle mass, lower your blood pressure, and optimize bone health.
*Amino acids are the building blocks of protein. Some of them cannot be produced in the human body so, they have to be obtained from the food – these are called essential amino acids.
- Eggs, and specifically egg yolk, are a high natural source of vitamin D, which is essential for calcium absorption and therefore for keeping your bones healthy and support in the prevention of osteoporosis. Make sure, that you also eat dairy product (high in calcium).
- Eggs are a very good source of riboflavin, selenium, and choline (an important nutrient that most people lack). Choline helps boost your brain development and may also protect you from age-related memory loss. Eggs contain large amounts of lutein and zeaxanthin that help protect your eyes from macular degeneration and cataracts.
- And last but not least, eggs score super high in satiety which measures the ability of food to induce feelings of fullness, which means that that eggs are highly fulfilling and tend to make you eat fewer, which helps you lose weight.
So, now that you read about egg, don’t you also think that eggs are a real superfood?